Sunday, July 15, 2012

RMPAP Jackson Hole Even 2012

Whew! Just got back from ten days in Jackson Hole Wyoming plein air painting with the Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters. It was a wonderful, hard working week and the show at the end was incredible, as always. I'm posting some rather bad photos unfortunately, which I took in front of my cabin at the Murie Center (an incredible story in itself of conservation and living truly with the land). "Morning Solace" sold at the opening, going to a wonderful woman living outside Jackson.
"Morning Solace"
10x8
sold
My last morning painting I found this stand of aspen trees on Wilson Rd.  The majesty of this stand is what first attracted me to the scene,  it's distant mountains and trees giving depth to the vertical format. The shape and color of the cast shadow was another intriguing aspect of the scene. The title came from the sense of peace and contentment I felt at the culmination of a wonderful week spent painting this amazing area.

"The Silver Streak"
10x10
This was painted at the Cunningham cabin.  My intent was to capture the scene that Mrs. Cunningham may have seen each day as she went about her daily chores.  This was done in the evening, so perhaps it was what she saw at the end of a hard day, content with the results of her labor, knowing this country was truly God's creation.

"Quake and Shimmer"
10x8
SOLD
As I was engrossed in doing this painting I vaguely heard  from behind, some grunting.  It finally dawned on me it was the sound of buffalo.  Turning around I discovered a herd of about fifty buffalo were coming through the aspen tree grove where I was painting.  As they came closer I grabbed my pochade box on tripod and retreated to my truck about a hundred feet away.  This proceedure repeated itself three more times during the course of the painting.  Needless to say I got some great shots of buffalo in amongst the aspen trees for later paintings.  Finishing this piece I then followed the buffalo to the adjoining field where I then did the next painting . . .

"Buffalo Gals"
10x10
sold
They stood relatively still as the calf nursed and when they moved on I noticed another pair in pretty much the same position, the light being slightly different, but I could use them to finish the painting.  The third bison was added from another dozing in the field. I did several of these plein air paintings of buffalo, each with their own story about trying to stay out of their way while still getting the painting done.  Note to self, one must always be looking behind oneself for more approaching bison.

"The Point on Elkhead Island"
12x9
This painting was done on Elkhead Island. The husband of my friend and fellow painter Ruth Rawhouser brought his boat up for the day and took several of us across Jackson Lake to Elkhead Island where we enjoyed painting the park from a little different perspective.  Facing east, I didn't notice the storm brewing in the west, almost totally obscuring Mt. Moran until Mack came motoring up politely suggesting we wrap it up.  Traveling back in the rain and hoping to beat the lightening we had a great time none the less and enjoyed lunch on the dock in the rain.

Needless to say, a great time was had and I can't wait to return, perhaps in the fall, to paint more of this captivating area.





























No comments: